Inns of Chorlton
The oldest inn in the district is the Bridge Inn , which was previously called The Greyhound years before. The old wattle and daub building was pulled down in the early 17th century and there have been numerous alterations since. The local Jacobin Club used to meet there in 1730 and drink the King’s health over a bowl of punch, and it is on record that Dr Byrom rebuked Colonel Townley for swearing too much.
In 1802 ‘mein host’ was Martha Knight, who used to brew good beer. Some of the local wits, being very hard up and very dry, walked across the fields to ‘Matties’. Upon arrival, one of the party named Bradbury told her that if she would treat them he would tell her how to increase her trade and brew better beer. Mattie gave them half a gallon of ale. Bradbury then told her that if she drew the water from a certain spring then only half the quantity of her beer would be improved.
The Medlock and Mersey Bowling Club used to meet there, along with Jackson’s Glee Club and another club called The Staffordshire Cronies.
The first Royal Oak was built on Nell Lane in 1458 and was situated just past the Southern Hotel on Rodgers Nurseries. The new Royal Oak was first built in 1819.
The Bowling Green was a wattle and daub farm house and inn combined, and this stood until 1770. Many years ago there used to be a pond at the rear, with an island in the middle. Visitors to the inn were welcome to go fishing in the pond.
The Robin Hood, later called the Travellers Rest, was near the Beech Inn and the Trevor Arms was close to the site of the Black Lion.
The Horse and Jockey was originally a school, and first became licensed approximately 1800.
Copyright © 2008 Anthony F Walker
Disclaimer: All rights reserved